Saturday, June 14, 2008

The albatross around my neck

Yesterday I finished up for another school year which means this year that I did my last duty, at least I hope my last, as math department chairman. I feel so free of that albatross. I have been looking forward to having more time to work on my classes, the school's technology, and my own life outside of school. It is so nice to be rid of that title. Good luck to the next math chairman.

As I start my summer "vacation" (actually 2 months of unpaid leave), I am enjoying catching up on reading the local newspaper and planning what fun things I will do for myself. First off: work on my teaching wardrobe. I enjoy sewing but for some reason I haven't done much over the past 2 summers, so I am really looking forward to this. My sister presented an idea of planning a wardrobe and then sewing it ... I may have this mixed up, but anyhow I will sew this summer for clothing and fun.

In addition, I have to start planning to teach a new-to-me subject of probability and statistics. It shouldn't be too much trouble since my first degree was in statistics, and the stat I'll be teaching is rather elementary compared to what I learned. I do a certain amount of planning in the summer just to decrease what I have to do once school starts up again at the end of August. Hmm, sewing and planning. Sounds like a full summer to me.

1 comment:

Debra said...

Hello. Found your blog via the BlogHer post on teachers. If you do sew your wardrobe this summer, would you please post pictures and send me the link?

I'd LOVE to do a "how teachers spent their summer vacation" craft post in August or Septemeber. This would be perfect! Thanks.