Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

I remember (even if it's a false memory) my mother saying that what one did on New Year's Day, one would do all year, so I try very hard to do things each January 1 that I want to do throughout the year. That's really how I deal with my resolutions. School resolutions I make every summer based upon what worked and what didn't work during the prior school year. So what am I doing today?

1) I am back to exercising. I got out of the habit in late October when I had a cold. Illness does that to me. I kept on trying to start up again, but lethargy is so much easier. I actually started working out on weekends and continued during Christmas break, but my lack of practice/exercise definitely showed up. Hence, I already exercised today. By the way, for those couch potatoes and teachers who already have no time to exercise, let me tell you a secret: exercise is one of the best panaceas around. I sleep better, I have more energy to do any and all work including grading papers (my anathema), I do everything faster, and I do not have as much trouble with depression over time. Better than any pill available. Teachers, find the time to exercise, and you will have more time available for everything else!

2) Talking about procrastination, I will get those projects graded today! I plan to be teaching all year, so I need to do some teaching activities today. I also have a few quizzes and tests to grade plus the always-popular make up work.

3) There are other things I'll be doing, but they are the home things involving my husband and my adult son, so I will not include them here.

Happy New Year!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay thanks for the inspiration - keep meaning to get back to exercise, keeps getting shoved another step back my things to do list.

Happy 2009!!! :D

Earl said...

I would have answered your last post about the recommendations for college, but I was perfecting my procrastination. Now, if I can take your fine example and exercise today the year will be healthier and flexible. Take care,

Juan Felipe said...

I don't like to do exercise so it is no so easy to start or to keep doing it. I know I need it and I will follow your example. I am going to find some time.

Happy New Year!!