Sunday, August 24, 2008

Last day before students return

Well, I got my classroom straightened up at least. I took the quick and dirty method with my desk and made about 2 piles of papers that still need to be handled, but the room looks neat.

After being nice last year to the building plant manager and starting out with tables instead of desks until the new desks arrived, I decided to start out rather harshly this year and assigned desks for every single class plus my homeroom. Due to the niceties of computer software, I cut and pasted the students' names from the online grading system to PowerPoint slides of my classroom setup. It took very little effort to do, and I will have my computer projection of each class' slide on the screen when the students come to class. By starting the year this way, my students will have the knowledge that I assign seats; I will accept no question on that!

As I noted before, this my first time in my teaching career of having a freshman homeroom. What this means is that the start of the year is heavy on teaching them the ways of our school. Tomorrow I have to take them to the Freshman Hall where their lockers are and help them figure out the locks. Then, back to my classroom where I cover everything else needed for today.

Also, I have had the teacher's edition of the stat book all summer, and I still haven't cracked it open to plan for the year. I borrowed the former teacher's syllabus and grading system, plus I did get a B.S. in statistics, so I am "okay" for the time being, but I really need to do some serious work today. At least I have the experience of knowing that most of my students will be tired all day because they didn't practice getting up early last week. On to work!

No comments: