Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Teacher workweek -- day 2

As usual the all-day meeting lasted longer than the principal had planned. We started at 10, but I was already initiating another new teacher into the mysterious ways of her homework website. (Read "the Force" for website, and you can understand why I am the Yoda of Math. ;-)) I think I have 2 more teachers to train.

Anyhow, everything that was needed to start out the year except for the learning support department (some of you would know it as "special education" or "exceptional children" department) was covered. I felt stupid on occasion because I said some things that the principal caught; one time it was an aside that he felt moved to address to the entire staff so that I didn't start an erroneous rumor. Ouch! Live and learn ... or, as I tell my students, that's why the adage says "to err is human". My own part went well excepting for the points at which I had to stop to remember the words I needed to use. Being a visual and tactile thinker, I can see the object in my head and shape the object with my hands, but I really must reach somewhere else in my brain for the vocabulary. No wonder I deal well with "exceptional children", i.e. children who think like me, not like other faculty.

Next up, a morning of faculty and staff religious reflection, lunch provided by the school, and an afternoon of preparing our classrooms which means more training of new teachers for me. All this training is the very reason that I wanted to get my classroom in shape before this week. Sometimes real life just messes up our plans.

No comments: